Thursday, August 6, 2009

Twinkle Twinkle

I randomly started singing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star one morning this week, and James started singing along (with hand motions)! I teared up, full of pride and amazement of what he knows, all that he has learned in his short 20 months. And then I gave him a big hug, trying to hold onto what little there is of my baby left, I think. And it was a little bittersweet to hear him sing (okay, like every fourth word), because I know that I didn't teach him the words. The curse of the working mom. There are other people who teach your kids stuff all week long. And sometimes you really have to wonder where they get stuff (his latest "huh?" thing he says is "oh man!". It's really cute though).

But the songs I sing he loves. I make up words to "Splish Splash" and "Rubber Ducky" (for real, I sang the "Rubber Ducky" song sitting in a bathtub in my kindergarten play). And he always wants more.

And some day there will be things that I will have taught him; important things like riding a bike, driving a car, and how to sing the Rock Chalk chant.

Keep learning, buddy. You truly amaze me.

1 comment:

Sheryl/Mom/Grandma said...

Yes, Katie, it is bittersweet. That is the dilemma that Moms have to deal with on a daily basis. You just have to know that everything you do is what is best for you and your family. And isn't it wonderful that woman now have the options from which to choose for themselves? It wasn't always that way. You're a great Mom! Love you - Grrrr-mama