Sunday, July 15, 2007

A little Kansas City Culture

I traveled back to Kansas City for a long weekend, and mom and I decided to take in a little Kansas City culture. We viewed two special exhibits in the new Bloch Building at the Nelson-Adkins Museum of Art; "Manet to Matisse" - Impressionist masters from the private collection of Marion and Henry Bloch (H&R Bloch) and "Developing Greatness - The Origins of American Photography", from the Hallmark collection. Both were truly fascinating. Mom and I walked around picking out our favorite pieces on each wall of the Bloch exhibit (because you couldn't just pick one favorite), and laughed at the goofy photos that were taken back in the 1800's. For all in Kansas City, it is a must-see before they are gone! It just amazes me that you can spend an entire day down at the museum for less than $50, when here in Chicago it costs us $50 just to enter the museums!

The Bloch Building: http://www.nelson-atkins.org/art/HistNewNA.cfm

It was a beautiful day to spend outside, so of course we had to hit the Plaza and do a little shopping for Baby C. We finished the day by relaxing outside the Classic Cup sipping on lemonade and iced tea and eating a little carrot cake.
I also got to visit my good friend Sarah and her husband John at their new home in New Longview. Their home is quite charming, as is the whole community. John is a fantastic cook, and he didn't disappoint during lunch. We dined on 3 kinds of quiche, tomato/mozzarella/basil salad, and for dessert homemade strawberry shortcake.
The trip rounded out with a wonderful massage on Monday morning, and my flight getting cancelled Monday night. But I didn't complain. Another night in KC was just fine with me!

No comments: