Monday, March 31, 2008

What's a little rain when you've got to run?

I finally made it back to the gym today after taking a 2+ week hiatus due to being sick and trying to put together the 2009 operating plan for the businesses I support under my new role at work. It was pouring down rain, and I sat at my desk for a good 30 minutes to see if it would let up before just sucking it up and walking to my car. And I'm glad I did. I missed the feeling of my feet pounding on the treadmill. I really haven't run in over a year, since I found out I was pregnant. The lungs were a little tight, the legs a little jiggly, but it felt good (all 11 minutes of it). My goal this summer is to run a 5K with James using my new jogging stroller I purchased with part of the $400 I won in our Superbowl pool at work.

I've realized that if you don't force some "me" time into your life as a working mother, you really get lost in all there is to do. It has been a struggle for me to find a balance, and I really doubt that you ever do. We could all use a few extra hours in the day, and something has to go...and for a mom that is usually time for herself. I've been thinking about what I like to do (or would like to do) with my life lately, an outlet if you will. It used to be running. I still plan on doing that, but there are only a few months out of the year here where it is actually nice enough to get out, especially if I bring James along. I would love to start riding again, but that is a pretty expensive hobby, and I am missing a horse. Something that has really caught my interest lately has been photography, especially the use of natural light. We have a pretty decent camera (that isn't just a point and shoot), but I really don't know how to use it. So I think I'd like to take some photography classes. There are a couple colleges nearby that offer digital photography classes at night, and I have a wonderful subject in James (if only I could get him to smile on cue).

No comments: