Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Can I tell you about my day yesterday?

Note: Chris left town at 4:30 Monday morning for a week long business trip to Mexico.

Monday evening when I picked up James from daycare, they told me he was very "sensitive" (their code word for clingy, whiney baby), had run a low grade fever and had several loose stools throughout the day (gross, I know). So off we went home to eat a bland dinner (he only ate applesauce and saltines), and we went to get him some Pedialite to deal with any potential dehydration issues from all the loose stools (again, gross). And at 8:00, off he went to bed...or so I thought.

I went to bed around 11:00, only to be woken up at 1:00 to a crying, screaming baby. I went in to change his diaper (no loose stools, thank goodness), and we rocked for about 30 minutes until I thought he was asleep enough to put him down. No such luck. Crying, screaming baby was awake again. I went to get him his cup of Pedialite. That seemed to calm him down some, but he didn't want to give it up, so I just let him keep it in his crib (note, this is the first time I've ever let him sleep with a drink in bed). When I went back to my room, crying, screaming baby was back, but at this point I think he is just playing me and doesn't want to go back to bed. Mom needs to go back to bed though, but that didn't happen for about the next 2 hours due to crying, screaming baby. Finally we both fall asleep, only for James to wake up at 5:00 (and maybe before that once as well, I can't remember now). Mom needs to get up at 5:30, so I just let him cry. I fall back asleep, only to wake up at 7:15! My alarm DIDN'T GO OFF!. Cue frantic mom trying to get herself ready before crying, screaming baby wakes up (I get a quick shower in before that happens). So now I'm not only exhausted because I got only about 4 hours of sleep the night before, but now I'm running over an hour late for work. Off to daycare James goes, with his bottle of Pedialite.

And as I sit down to my desk Tuesday morning, I realize that the shirt I put on has stains all over it. And I'm supposed to meet with the CFO later in the day to discuss my new job (Finance Manager, Mergers and Acquisitions!). So at lunch I run over to Ann Taylor Loft to get myself a new shirt, go to Potbelly for a sandwich, but first do a quick change in the bathroom and throw the other stained shirt in the trash.

I'd like to think that once my child(ren) is to the point where he does actually sleep through the night, and I can sleep through the night (I'm sure it will come at some point, he has to move out eventually) that I'll look back with fondness on these times, and it will be really funny. I do have to admit that the whole changing shirt in Potbelly restroom/throwing away shirt in trash is kindof funny now.

James did sleep all night last night, so I'm thankful for the 7 hours of sleep I got. And I'm also thankful that I'm not a full-time single parent! My mom told me James would get me back for being away for a week. Consider us even, buddy.


smcclurekc said...

Motherhood is just a lot of hard work a whole lot of the time! You're right, these difficult episodes will turn out to be funny stories that you will (eventually) look back on and laugh. We'll call this little episode "Mr. Baby's Revenge." Of course it's Murphy's Law that the one shirt that is stained is the one you will put on before your meeting with the CFO. Glad that last night was better! Mom:)

Shannon said...

Poor Katie! You are juggling a lot - especially once you throw in the single mother part in there. I'm cracking up at you just throwing your shirt away! Hope your meeting went well.